Reader Design Dilemma: My Solution

A while back I ran a blog series where readers would send me design dilemmas and I would give a few  problem solving suggestions. Last week a reader emailed me about her family room dilemma. When this email hit my inbox I knew it would be fun to share with you.
A little about the space. 

"My family recently moved into the home where my husband grew up; after seeing it decorated to my Mother in law's tastes for so long, I'm having a hard time making confident choices of my own. I have a tiiiiny budget, but I've GOT to get something on our walls to add personality and reflect US or I'm going to go nuts! What would you suggest for the space pictured?"
 


I don't know much about her style, but I did notice she already owns a few really cute pillows. A grey chevron, blue scalloped, and even a Caitlin Wilson floral pillow.


So I decided to take a fresh, graphic, and modern approach.
Since the budget is small (can't we all relate) I wanted to get the biggest bang for my buck. Nothing stretches your dollar quite like paint! Stripes for the walls, a graphic black & white DIY painting on the fireplace (tutorial here, thanks Sarah for the room inspiration!), painted turquoise television stand, sunbust mirror, and playful art!




Here is a breakdown of my plan.


And now for my very very amateur photoshop job...


Wow, my photoshop skills are awful...but you get the idea.
 I think that spruces up the space a little, don't' you?
Best part, it could all be done for under $150.00 and a little elbow grease.

Clearly this is not the only solution to this dilemma, so let's hear what you would do.
What was your first thought? Would you keep it more simple? Go more bold? Let's give this family some options!

Also, today on Instagram I will teaming up with Livy Love Designs & Goods by Grinn for a giveaway! We will be giving away 3 prints, 2 pillow covers, and an online design valued at $300.00 to one lucky winner! Follow me on Instagram @danielleoakeyinteriors for more details on how to enter!

xo,

0 comments:

Post a Comment