$20 DIY Desk Chair Makeover


Since moving to Boise 3 months ago I have been dying to check out the second-hand scene. On Friday I was lucky enough to spend the whole afternoon bouncing from thrift store to thrift store. It was heavenly let me tell you.

I started out at Deseret Industries. I have been here several times in the last couple months but have yet to find something I wanted. In true thrifting fashion, my persistance paid off. 
I found these two chairs for $8.00...


The fabric is awful but the gold bent tubular frame had me at hello. In design school we studied all types of furniture from every era. I knew I recognized the chair style but couldn't put a name to it. Later that night I determined it is a Cesca chair knock-off. I guess that contemporary furniture class actually paid off!

Obviously it needed to be re-upholstered, so I stopped in at JoAnn Fabrics and picked up a yard of faux fur for $10.50.
There is just something about fur and metal that is so good together.




Thank goodness this project required very little sewing since I am not very good with the sewing machine.


The seat and back simply screwed off.


The back was sewed on 3 sides and then stapled shut.
I simply pulled out the staples and pulled the fabric off the frame.


I then cut the two sides apart so I could use the old fabric as a pattern.
I laid my pattern piece on the fur and cut the fur to the exact size of the old fabric.


I then sewed the 3 sides together, put the frame back in, and stapled the bottom closed.


The seat was much easier. I took the old fabric off, cut the fur to size, and stapled it to the seat frame.
It only took about an hour and I am in love with the results.


I think it makes the perfect desk chair, don't you?


It fits perfectly and is much more comfortable than the chair I was previously using.


I am also a huge fan of the white chair/blue desk combo.
The contrast is just so crisp.


Since my desk gained a pretty new chair, I thought it was about time to give a little attention to the wall.
I added this $35.00 mirror from Home Depot and made some DIY art.
I'll share the details about my art later this week.


I  must say I love it when a project turns out, especially when it only cost $20.00 total!


So, what do you think?

xo,

0 comments:

Post a Comment