Best New Blogs: The Lovely Cupboard


Today I have another amazing blog for you, The Lovely Cupboard.
I have really enjoyed getting to know Heather and I am sure you will too!



Hi there! My name is Heather, and I'm addicted to blogs...and coffee...and Pinterest. Ok, I'll stop. Born and bred in Texas, I broke the 11th commandment and left. After college, I got stuck in the Midwest and now enjoy having four seasons instead of two. I'm a 5th grade teacher by trade, which keeps me pretty busy. 



{check out Heathers classroom makeover here!}

While I enjoy teaching, my true passion is design. I'm constantly inspired by things I see online (including this blog), which inevitably leads me to rearrange furniture in my house or bust out he pawer tools to try a new DIY project. This year I started a side business that focuses on interior redesign and home staging. My husband and I love spending our weekends finding "new stuff" at flea markets and pretending we know that our canine "children" are really thinking. I also like using quotation marks...

If you come visit the Lovely Cupboard, you'll find before and after pictures of my own home projects as well as those of friends that I've helped. 


I'm passionate about eating organic, clean, and local food as much as possible. A few films and several books changed my whole perspective about food, and i've never been the same since! Some of my posts explain my new perspective, but mostly I share some recipes that pass the "husband test". ( Those of you with picky spouses or children probably know all too well what I mean.) While l love having friends over for a casual dinner, I especially love any event that invokes a theme, gorgeous decor, and signature food and drinks. Truly, I feel like Martha Stewart has my dream job. If she was hiring and assistant, I might have to make a life-altering career move.



I've found that my personal style is a reaction to make my first home, a 1940's tudor style cottage, feel fresh rather than just old. My husband and I picked this house because we love old homes and the character that comes with them. 



While I've always collected antique pieces, I started feeling like my home was looking more alike a museum than a young couple's home. I started incorporating bold fabrics and new pieces mixed in with flea market finds to make sure that things didn't feel too stuffy. I've also inherited some pieces from my family who has lived literally all over the world.


 I don't really know how to categorize my style. Here's how i'd like to be able to describe my house in the near future: classic, global, and fresh.



My current style crush is anything made from ikat fabrics. The patterns created by the ikat process are so unique and stunning, and most employ bright pops of color.


{image via here}

You might say ikat is like upscale tie-dye. Actually the process or creating both fabrics is similar. Ikea is a great balance between organic and geometric shapes.

 

{Image via here}

I'm working with a client who can't get away from floral throw pillows. She's not feeling geometric patterns (that i've been shamelessly pushing) but she's liked how the ikat worked to break up the floral in her living room. In the right space, ikat fabrics can appear Bohemian and chic at the same time. Can you tell how much I love them? Sigh...

Thanks Heather!
Make sure you head on over to The Lovely Cupboard for more inspiration!

0 comments:

Post a Comment