Best Kept Designer Secrets Series!


I get lots of emails asking me a variety of questions regarding interior design.
Anything from how I create my design boards, floor plans, my favorite paint colors, or best fabrics. 
This gave me an idea, a series that reveals...
Designer or not, I think these tips can be helpful for everyone.
I plan on sharing my own secrets as well as a few from my favorite designers.
I think it will be fun!

Today I am going to start with sharing my #1 favorite design tool, how I create my floor plans!
When working for a client, I always create a floor plan to scale. This helps me determine the furniture arrangement as well as the exact size each piece needs to be.

I also always provide my clients with the floor plan to give them a better understanding of the lay-out and flow of the space.


In design school, I used a variety of programs that require expensive licenses, all of which I can't afford now!
I was thrilled when I found floorplanner.com
It's a website that allows you to create floor plans and save them under your own account.
It is very user friendly and has an extensive furniture library, making furniture plans quick to create!



Here is a screen shot of what the program looks like.
You simply create walls, add windows/doors, and drop in furniture.


You also have the option to view your floor plan in 3D.
I love this feature, it really helps you visualize your space!


Floorplanner.com allows you to create your first floor plan for free!
I don't know what I would do without this program, it is my absolute favorite design tool.
If you are thinking of buying new furniture, I highly recommend creating a floor plan first, you won't regret it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment